Thursday, July 31, 2008

Pre-dawn Insomnia

I've had the tremendous fortune of a comfortable, easy pregnancy thus far - no morning sickness, minimal weight gain, etc. Up to now, even sleeping has been a dream (once I find a comfortable position, that is) - easily sleeping through the night and often even napping for an hour or so in the afternoon.
But the last 3 nights, after falling asleep as easily as usual, I find myself waking up between 3 and 5 a.m. In itself, this detail is not unusual, as I've been waking a couple of times a night to use the restroom or change positions for months. The difference is that the last several nights I've not been able to get back to sleep for hours. Once I do get to sleep again, it's a restful sleep and fortunately I have a very flexible schedule right now so it's easy to get enough sleep later in the day. It is very frustrating though to lie awake for hours in the dark for no obvious reason night after night...let's hope it ends soon.

No comments: