Last week I returned to work and Zane started daycare. It took a couple of days to be truly back in the groove at work (and I still don't know how papers will ever get graded in a timely manner). Most days I'm just able to pump enough milk to provide Zane with what he needs at daycare, so let's hope I never have to miss a pumping session! Last week was semester exam week, so this next week I truly have to plan and teach on a full schedule again. Between the early hour I have to rise to get us both out the door on time, not having any afternoon naps, and getting up to pump once in the middle of the night, working again takes a toll on me, but I'll adjust quickly (I hope).
Having Zane in daycare causes me mixed feelings - they take excellent care of him, though it'll take a bit longer for them to know his moods, cries, and needs readily. The week was rough for him - he managed very little sleep at daycare (averaging less than an hour a day), but was beginning to adjust by the end of the week. He now sleeps through the night most nights, so daytime naps are a bit less critical than before. I am able to call and check on my precious boy at least once a day, but I'm counting the days until I can stay home with him again...and hopefully we'll be home together all summer.
At home, we're working on incorporating more "tummy time" into Zane's day, and helping him to play and entertain himself versus being held/carried much of the time. The photos are of him on his tummy time mat and floor mat playing.
During spring break, we're hoping to teach him to fall asleep in his crib more often (and being rocked to sleep less often). I'm still planning to rock him nightly, but we'll read a story, sing a song, and stop rocking just before he drifts off...
Teaching him to do anything independently makes him seem so grown already! Our boy will not be a baby for nearly long enough, I can already tell. I experience mixed emotions every time he sleeps through the night (I still wake up every 3-4 hours) - I value the chance to return to sleep quickly, and I miss the quiet time feeding him and watching his sweet face as he goes to sleep again. Now we know one of the reasons couples have second babies!
1 comment:
yes, because they are still sleep deprived from the first kid and don't know any better ;)
Post a Comment