Monday, November 10, 2008

Countdown to D-day

The plan is in motion - tomorrow is D-day (delivery day). I saw my OB for my last appointment this morning, had my "last meal" this afternoon (no solids allowed until after delivery now), and the electronics are charging.


Honestly, I'm not worried about the labor and delivery as such - I'm more nervous about the idea of being in the hospital itself. I've been one of those very fortunate people in that I've never been in a hospital except as a visitor (and never for more than an hour or so at that). The unknown is always a bit unnerving, I guess. Thankfully, I completely trust the experienced nurses and my doctor to guide us through the process safely. I'm very ready to be a mom, yet it still seems a bit unreal as of this moment.


People keep reminding us how much life is about to change and asking if we're ready. I respond with reminders that we planned this baby, that while we haven't lived it yet we are very aware that things are going to be different, and that while there will be trying moments, neither of us believes that things being "different" is going to be bad. It's a bit like when we got married - we weren't nervous or worried then and neither of us has lamented our "single days". Together, we'll adjust to life with a baby and enjoy the adventures it brings us.


Maybe we should be more nervous than we are, but we are going to love having Zane in our lives, and he will be here so very soon!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

YEA!!! You are almost about to join one of the most fantastic rewarding clubs of all times, the mommy club!! It's so much fun and I know you won't believe it at first, but it gets better as time goes on. We'll be thinking about you and praying for you tomorrow. Let us know if you are up for visitors!!

Susan said...

You guys were the first people I thought of this morning. Giving birth is still, to me, the most awe inspiring and miraculous event we will ever do. Lots of work but a miracle in the end! Welcome Zane!
Susie